Pages

Friday, December 2, 2011

Others

By Charles D. Meigs (written sometime between 1890 and 1902)

Lord help me live from day to day
In such a self-forgetful way
That even when I kneel to pray
My prayer shall be for – Others.

Help me in all the work I do
To ever be sincere and true
And know that all I do for you
Must needs be done for – Others.

Let “Self” be crucified and slain
And buried deep; and all in vain
May efforts be to rise again
Unless to live for – Others.

And when my work on earth is done
And my new work in heaven’s begun
May I forget the crown I’ve won
While thinking still of – Others.

Others, Lord, yes others
Let this my motto be
Help me to live for others
That I may live like Thee.

1 comment:

  1. Jenna, thanks for sharing. I really appreciate this poem. Echoes the words said about Jesus: He came to serve, not to be served.

    Love
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments. I always enjoy hearing from my readers.
~Jen