Pages

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Ponderings


The greatest spiritual crisis comes when a person has to move a little further on in his faith than the beliefs he has already accepted. 
Oswald Chambers


I read this the other day in my devotions and it challenged me as I thot about it. Am I willing to go beyond the beliefs I have already accepted, and even more so, the beliefs accepted among my circle of friends, relatives, and other Christians if God so asks me to?
 When I think over the spiritual journey our family has been on, I realize more than ever the  faith and courage that it must have taken for my parents to step out in obedience and embrace beliefs and convictions that were foreign to them and to everyone they knew. It was difficult for friends to understand and accept the changes our family made. Sometimes I don't think we hardly understood ourselves; only that God had touched on this thing or that and we were to obey. Other times, there was no question why God was putting His finger on one thing or another, and we zealously followed His leading. At times it took us down lonely roads as the changes we made were more than what our friends were comfortable with. There were times we were misunderstood for being legalistic and judgmental.
Leonard Ravenhill said it well: "If you're going to be a true Christian, I'll tell you one thing amongst others, it'll be a lonely life. And it'll get narrower and narrower and narrower. " 
 And it does get to be. Thankfully, the One who bids us further on in faith never leaves us nor forsakes us, and His presence sees us thru the night seasons. And in time, He does bring fellow travelers along the way, and we find we are not alone in this journey. Others, too, have chosen to go a little farther on in their faith than the beliefs they had already accepted, leading them down the same narrow way! And what blessed fellowship we share together in the journey!
But oh, I ponder, what if God asks me to go yet a little farther on beyond the beliefs I've already embraced? What if it meant another narrow and lonely journey? Would I have the courage and zeal to follow the call? By His grace and strength, I pray I would. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments. I always enjoy hearing from my readers.
~Jen