Pages

Monday, November 21, 2011

Scripture Memorization

 The Lord has really impressed it upon me to commit myself to truly get into His Word, to read it, to study it, to memorize it, and to hide it my heart. Right now, I'm working on memorizing The Sermon on the Mount. I had begun memorizing it over a year ago and got through the first chapter, but then got busy with other things and weary of memorizing, too. Thankfully it's coming back to me quickly as I'm going back over it.

I came across this link that might be helpful to others trying to memorize Scripture.  http://www.pursuinglife.com/biblememory.php#   It gives some good tips on memorization, especially for when you're memorizing long portions, and reasons for hiding God's Word in our hearts.

What I have found to be helpful is:
  Start young! The older you get, the harder it becomes to retain things. I find that it is the verses that I memorized as a child are the ones that that I know the best. This is actually one of those things you can encourage your younger siblings in and to do it with them.
  If you're not memorizing long portions, select one verse a day to memorize and write it down on a small index card - the verse on one side and reference on the other. This way you will connect the reference with the verse. I used 3 x 5 index cards and cut them in half, that way they were small enough to fit in my pocket comfortably. Number the top corner on the reference side and go over it throughout the day.  At the end the the week, shuffle the cards and review.  At the end of the month, you will have memorized 30 verses! I tried this method before and found it to work great, but then again, what might work good for one person may not work as well for another. The only way to know is to try and see!
  Something my siblings and I will do once in a while is go back and forth quoting memory verses until we run dry. It makes it nicer to share what we have been learning. It is also helpful to learn with someone or at least find someone to be accountable to when memorizing.
  If you know of some good tips for memorizing, I would be glad to hear of them. And if you are working on memorizing some verses or a portion of Scripture, let me know! May we be an encouragement to each other as we seek to hide God's Word in our hearts!

Blessings on your day,
Jenna    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments. I always enjoy hearing from my readers.
~Jen