Pages

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Modesty Mentionables

In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel... 1 Timothy 2:9


Whose adorning, let it not be the outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel; but let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.  1 Peter 3:3-4



Well, I've decided to stick my neck out and touch on the subject of modesty, which may be a sensitive subject to some people. In fact, I will probably do it more than once! I understand we all have different perspectives of dress and what is modest, and I, myself am not one to say that there is only one type of dress that is modest. I have seen lovely cape dresses and jumpers that are not frumpy and still cover, and I have seen some that are dull as all get out, but don't do a nickels worth of the job they're suppose to do. Same goes for skirts and blouses. I personally like variety and wear all three. I'm not here to say which is more or less modest and I don't claim to have it all down. However, I do want to encourage general guidelines for a modest wardrobe.

It saddens me to see Christian girls compromise in their choice of modest dress in order to be more stylish and fashionable...wearing long slits in their skirts, or inching their skirts up more and more for the calf to show; just a little lower neckline, and a little tighter blouse. Please girls, let's be careful to not make our brothers stumble. Yes, they are accountable for their thoughts, but we also have responsibility to not defraud them or cause them to stumble.

Believe me, you can dress pleasingly without compromising in modesty. I would encourage going through your wardrobe and doing the mirror check. Your neckline may appear to be high when in standing position, but what about when bending over? How about your skirt length? Again, it may be fine when standing, but what about bending or sometimes even sitting?

 Be willing to ask your dad or brother about your outfits and if any are questionable, or what guidelines of modesty they appreciate in ladies clothing, and what they find disgraceful.
And remember, we're not here to shine for ourselves, but rather to glorify God and let Him be seen through us. Also remember, a woman's true beauty lies in the heart, not in outward appearance. If a man's eyes are drawn to our bodies and not our faces, then it's a pretty good sign something needs to change!! Let's strive to dress as daughters of the King!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments. I always enjoy hearing from my readers.
~Jen